Sunday 10 May 2009

An Ode to GT...

Now I'm not sure if you write an ode as a poem, or whether it can be whatever the hell you want it to be, but that was what I wanted to call this post, so I did.

I've had a week to take all this is, and to think about how I feel and how I'm coping and things, so on reflection of my thoughts and feelings, I decided to make a post.

As people may or may not know, GT or Gareth to the ICS crew, was one of my close friends from work. And it seemed like it was happening for ages, but GT left our department to move on and work for a new trust, so he no longer works with me or the team. People come and go you might say, but GT is one special guy, and I didn't want events to pass without commenting on them.

You see, for all his ways, GT, in my eyes, is and forever will be a legend. He was on the panel that interviewed me and is largely responsible with me getting the job. But more than that. There's only about a year and a half between us in age, and to be fair, GT has been like a big brother and a mentor to me throughout my working in ICS. So to say 'I miss him' is a complete understatement.
So as a tribute to GT, I thought I'd list a heap of stuff the guy does and is all about, and what I miss most about him already:
  • There is no one more dedicated an OT than this guy, he's a complete grafter, there is no cutting corners, if it needs being done, then it is done. Simple.
  • He trusts you and listens to you, which is a hell of a lot more respect than a lot of people give you in this day and age.
  • What you see is what you get. Yes, he can be a bit of a gobshite and a bit loose lipped, but I think me above everyone in the team is one of the only people who was on his wavelength and one of the only people he never ever upset.
  • He trusts me and has faith in my abilities, whether it be computer technical or patient related and for that mate, I lift my hat and say thank you, I'll not let you down.
  • We have a similar piss taking sense of humour... so I'll miss not having my buddy around to join forces with when stupidity creeps in.
  • He's loud and says it as it is. You can only have respect for that, and it's something I'll miss.
  • He's my tutor for technical things and for footie, and my inspiration to be taken into the world of gadgets... if I ever get an iphone, GT is the man to call!
  • He can only drink about 2.5 pints and then he's pissed... I can out drink the guy, but he is a HILARIOUS drunk!

I think most of all, GT has a sensitivity and dedication most people miss with him, but which I picked up on and respected, and will miss more than anything. He instinctively knew when I was down and not coping with things after FT and I were not talking. He put his arm round me, and said 'you deserve to be with and find someone special, because you're lovely and you deserve to be happy'. The guy knew what to say and exactly how to say it. And for that GT, I love you mate. It had an effect on me no one else had.

And more than that, my first day into work after my Nan died, I was on the late shift, so in the office for 2pm. He was there, waiting for me to arrive, he was the first person to come up to me, put his arm round me and give me a hug, tell me how sorry he was, and ask if I was OK or if there was anything he could do. I was speechless. That single act meant more to me than he knows.

So now he doesn't work with us anymore, and I miss him like hell. I miss his loudness and his gobshite ways. I miss his pictures on the wall, even the one of the dodgy salmon jumper. I miss his sleepy misdemeanour on a Monday morning. His hyperactivity when he ate chocolate. I miss his hard work, and his support, and the feeling of being part of the team. He's just one of them people who is the lynchpin of things. And GT being the modest little swine (yeah right) that he is, does honestly believe he'll be forgotten. The fact is, no mate, you won't be. Yeah, things change and you move on, but you'll never ever be forgotten.

So a week ago Thursday gone was his last day. We had pizzas for lunch in the office. The head of department gave her regular 'poem' when someone leaves. But this time, instead of pure humour and good will, was a complete touching emotional tinge to it too. That shows how important GT is and how he will be missed. We gave him his card, and Nintendo DS i for a present. He loved it. He had to choke back the tears. I had to leave the room with tears in mine.

I left early that day, to meet a friend for a drink. When I left, I put my arm around him, gave him a hug and said, 'thank you for the opportunity, the support and the belief, good luck with everything mate, the new job, the baby and the wedding. You'll make a great Dad, and Camden don't know how lucky they are. It has been an absolute pleasure working with you, and I'll really miss you'.

I meant it. GT is one of a kind, and one in a million. I don't cope with change well at all, so it feels like part of me is missing without him around. I miss you GT, you're a great guy. And we'll still go out, and I'll still drink your hairy ass under the table! Love you dude, and honestly, it really has been a complete pleasure!

No comments: